There was probably nothing at this spot when the first settlers came to the area; there may have been a wide place in the creek or a marshy spot but certainly no body of water. In 1831, a man named Robert Fisher who had a mill on Black Creek came over from Morganville and put a dam in the stream at a spot where it begins to drop down sharply for about a half mile before it passes under what is now Route 33. This backed up the water into a small millpond, which was called Fisher Pond for the next 50 years. Fisher built a mill on the north side of the road, never a busy mill, but the only commercial building on that stretch of the road for many years. A good many years later someone built a small tavern called The Grove, on the north side at the road in the elbow where the road turns north to join Route 33. The Grove was a popular dancing spot for a few years, offering dances twice or three times a year, the History of Stafford tells us” Ruth M. Mcevoy 1992
Today, the lake is located on Horseshoe Lake Road. Sixty-two year-round and seasonal residences are located on the East, West, and main Horseshoe Lake Roads. The bathing beach is located at the end East Horseshoe Lake Road on the “island”. The lake forms the headwaters of Bigelow Creek which joins Black Creek before flowing into the Genesee River near Lake Ontario.
Open daily from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM everyday during the summer. Beach activities include shallow water swimming, deep water swimming, springboard diving, and surfing down a water slide. After 6 PM, the beach can be used for beach volleyball. Boating on the lake is readily available. A lifeguard is present from 11 AM to 6 PM daily. Swimming is permitted only when the lifeguard is present.